Monday, March 06, 2006

Photo power

Remember when Yarn Harlot discovered that photographing the Tinks' sweaters mysteriously revealed errors imperceptible to the naked eye? Did you laugh? Did you think to yourself "oh, that Yarn Harlot"? I did. But I'm not laughing anymore.

I decided to concentrate on Bristow this weekend since Odessa's still in a time out. We rented movies and I knit and knit and knit. I even considered that I might even finish both fronts on the weekend. So naive.

Well I finished the left front, cast on for the right front and flew through to the bust increases. That's when I noticed it. Another missing yarnover (what is it with yarnovers anyway that make them so easy to forget?). What to do, what to do?

This had happened to me once on the left side but I noticed it after only a few rows and was able to ladder down and fix it. But this time, it's like more than 30 rows back? I can't ladder that far! It would end up looking worse than if I just left it. I was tired. The Oscar's were becoming a bore (it's so much less interesting when you haven't seen any of the movies!). So I put it down and decided to sleep on it.

This morning, I still didn't know what to do and not wanting to waste any more precious knitting time deliberating, I did what any normal knitter would and cast on for a new project. I don't have any baby girls to knit for (seriously, it's been years since I've even seen a baby girl!) but thought Project Spectrum would be the perfect opportunity to knit a little pink somethin' somethin' for a wee one...you know, for the gift closet?

So I started knitting the ribbed jacket from Debbie Bliss' Special Knits (it's the one on the cover) and this one is really flying. I cast on this morning and am feeling pretty good about finishing it today. No kidding. Forget what I said before about my knitting naivite. Really, I think it's a one day baby sweater!

So I took a break to photograph them both for you while the sun is still high in the sky. I wanted to show you the amazing one-day sweater in progress and ask your advice on Bristow's missed yarnover. It wasn't until I saw the photo up there in the right hand corner that I noticed them...the three missed yarnovers on the completed side!

What? I edited the photo to point them out (as if I had to...kinda glaring if you stare even for just a little while). Now what? I've got to rip. If I don't it'll bug me to no end everytime I wear the sweater. And, if I'm going to rip out 60 rows on the left front anyway, I guess I'll rip out the 30 rows on the right front too. What's and extra 30 rows? Right? I thought so ;0)

Well at least there's still the magic of the amazing one day sweater...

9 comments:

  1. A one day baby sweater?!? Hook me up!! It's gorgeous, and the colour is stunning. :)

    As for the missing yarnovers, oh no!! An extra 30 rows? That's nothin' eh? *lol* Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drat that darn missed yarn over!!! time 3 even!!!

    One day or even two day baby sweaters are great if you like to see quick results. And they are so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby sweater is beautiful and thank god you can feel like not all your time was wasted on the Yarn Over debacle. Rip it back baby! You won't be able to live with yourself and if you set your mind to it, you'll just do and when you are knitting it up it will almost be like it didn't happen. Just make sure you watch for those yarnovers (believe me; I always think when I have made a colossal mistake I won't do it again - ha! if only). I know that ripping sucks; just ripped back 6 inches (6 flipping inches - maybe more) on my Stornoway. It so sucks. Good luck; can't wait to see the new improved version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:51 a.m.

    One day? Really, I need to knit a baby sweater and bonnet for a giftie, I don't have the book though, I may have to go to the library and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you noticed them before you finished and seamed it all up - right? (Silver lining)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgetting the yarn overs would bug the heck out of me, too. I've ripped out rows just because I didn't think I spaced a couple of increases as evenly as I'd like. Not that they even show...but I KNOW they're there! However...if you'd like to fight this obsession with perfection (wouldn't we all) could you maybe put something small (like a great button or bead) where the yarn over eyelet is supposed to be, even the ones you did right? It's a thought. I love the baby sweater...no set in sleeves!!!! The pin cushion is great, too...is it a jar? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time to rip it, rip it! At least it's 3 times the mistake and not just ONE that'll bug ya. You'll feel better about it, if you just go ahead and do it tonight ... and give it a fresh start tomorrow with the knitting. Just don't forget those YO's.

    p.s. little pink sweaters are SO cute to have on hand for that unexpected gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or you could sew on tiny, classy buttons on all of the yo's closest to the button(hole) band (on both pieces). Then you would only have to rip out the RF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This weight loss blog is my journey to create a happier, healthier life for myself .

    ReplyDelete